Monday, March 12, 2012

Propeller Receiver

With the success I had with my first propeller receiver I decided to put together a little single conversion superhetrodyne receiver kit from N3ZI for round two.  This is a nice little kit and as my buddy Eldon says, makes a nice companion for the propeller board as a transmitter.


Thus far, I have gotten the receiver to pick up some birdies, but have not heard any actual signals through it.  The crystal filter appears to be doing its thing as I am getting about 300 Hz to 3000 Hz passing through it with nice roll-off on the top and bottom ends.

Using the propeller as a local oscillator, I am able to tune the device, but I just don't hear anything other than what sounds like birdies.  If I set the propeller to the IF frequency, I get a very strong tone.  So, everything downstream of the first mixer appears to be working as expected.  But for whatever reason, I don't get any off-the-air signals through it.

I will use another propeller device to inject a signal other than at the IF frequency into the front-end and see if I can hear it.  That will have to wait for another day however as I am quite fatigued tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment